Why are there no prices on the Bowens website?
We do not sell our products direct. Instead we have a network of distributors around the world who set the prices of our products in their regions according to local market conditions. It would be impossible to have all of their prices on our website and to constantly keep them up-to-date.
Can I download diagrams of Bowens products?
We only supply service diagrams to Bowens authorised service facilities.
What is TTL?
TTL in photography stands for through-the-lens. Light intensity from the location of the camera is measured through the lens to avoid the need of a separate light meter.
What is High-Speed Sync?
High-speed sync flash is your DSLR's ability to use a flash at shutter speeds faster than the camera's native sync. Most cameras have a native sync of 1/250th of a second, and anything faster than that is beyond the camera's ability to sync the shutter with the flash.
How do I setup my Pulsar Trigger?
Press the arrow button to show the channel. Press the arrow again to take the red LED to the desired number.
To set up the studio, do the same as above but hold the arrow for a short time and the LED will now be switching between letters in the opposite direction.
Press the test button to complete setup (be sure to have all heads switched off during this process of selection).
My Gemini remote will not connect to more than one unit. How do I fix this?
Set the unit to REM with the STOPS control knob (on the PRO or R Gemini).
Set the TENTHS control knob to the desired channel ie. 0 tenths equals ALL channels. 1 tenth equals channel one, 2 tenths equals channel 2 etc. up to channel 8. NOTE: 9 and 10 tenths revert to (ALL) remote channels and will operate on any remote channel setting.
Set the remote control channel selector to match the channel of the head you wish to control. NOTE channel (0) will control all channels and set them all to the same level. You need to switch through the channels on the remote to control lights individually - as you do this, the channel selector light on the remote will blink for a few seconds after you change channels. Wait for the light to stop blinking before you operate the light on that channel.
The display on your Gemini heads will say (1) and does not change until you operate the remote on that channel to increase the power, then the display will change to the up/down setting. This is because the display is showing the power and not the remote channel that you have selected.
Will the Pulsar TX work with the older Litelink transceivers?
Yes, the current Pulsar Tx transmitter will work with both the Litelink transceiver and the previous Bowens Pulsar transceiver, from which Litelink was derived.
Can I sync my Bowens heads with another brand?
Only by using the slave cell function.
I have an error code. How do I solve this?
Error code causes and solutions are provided in the user guide provided in the original packaging.
Setup and breakdown of softboxes
Ensure the casting ring is the correct way round; so the thumb screws fit away from the front of the flash head and into the softbox.
Place the softbox on the floor with the exposed rods facing upwards, then part the rods so you can place them into the edge of the casting ring. Best practice is to place a rod close to you and one on each side. Ensure the last rod you insert goes into the hole with writing above it. You may need to bend the rods in order to place them into the holes on the casting ring.
To breakdown, face the softbox on the floor again with the casting ring exposed. Remove the rod which is in the hole with writing above it (the last rod inserted on setup). You may need to apply pressure to the casting ring in order for the rods to be removed.
Can I wash my Bowens softboxes?
We wouldn’t advise washing any part of the softbox.
If you were desperate to wash the diffusers, then a logical solution would be to hand wash them in warm (not hot) water with a small amount of a weak washing up liquid and then leave them to drip dry.
However, this is not a tested method.
What is the best practice when charging my Travelpak?
You can charge any version of the Travelpak with it either switched on or off. The LED light on the charger will change colour when fully charged.
Ensure the Travelpak is never left empty of charge as this will damage the battery cell. If you do not plan to use the Travelpak for an extended period of time, you should discharge the battery at varying levels to keep the battery active. We reccommend you do this weekly.
When should I use the dummy plug with the Travelpak?
When only using one head with the travelpak. Insert the dummy plug into the unused terminal for safety reasons.
Can I take my Travelpak with me as checked in luggage?
The battery in the TravelPak is a sealed lead acid (SLA) unit. Please check with your airline before you travel to determine if they have any restrictions or special requirements regarding these types of battery.
How do I access the range of pre-set colour temperatures in the Mosaic Bicolour?
99% of Bicolour panel users choose the factory preset colour temperatures that we programme in as standard. These range from warm tungsten at 2800K to daylight at 5600k with multiple steps of 200-300K in between.
Here is a general guide to using pre-set colour settings:
1. Switch on.
2. When the unit powers up, look at the two red LEDS at top left of the control panel marked "USR" and "PST". Press the large round button immediately to the right (with the icon of three sliders on it) until the "PST" LED glows. Your light is now in Preset mode.
3. The big numeric LED display can be set to show either brightness (from 1-255) or colour temperature from 2800K - 5600K (these will appear as three digits from 280, indicating 2800K to 560, indicating 5600K).
4. Press the lower round button with the tick/check on it to toggle between brightness and colour temperature displays. When in colour temperature mode, the "PST" LED will flash to let you know.
5. In either display mode, use the +/- buttons on the righthand side of the panel to increase or decrease either brightness or colour temperature, again using the tick/check button to toggle between these two modes.
6. If you wish to set a brightness level or colour temperature setting into the Mosaic's memory, so these settings become default settings next time you switch the light on, simply push and hold the tick/check button for 1 second in brightness or colour temperature mode and the light will memorise your given setting and the word "SET" will appear briefly on the display. You can choose your brightness setting independently of your colour temperature setting and memorise both to the on-board memory. These settings will be the ones that the light comes back to next time you switch it on and will remain so until you add new settings to the memory. You can change these settings at any time by going through steps 4 and 5 above.